written by Kay Winters
Dutton Juvenile, 2008
- Received the Carol Otis Hurst Book Prize
- 2009-2010 Delaware Diamonds Master List
Best Book Lists:
- International Reading Association – Teacher’s Choices List (2009)
- Texas Library Association – Recommended Books Published in 2008
- Chicago Public Schools – Recommended for Purchase List
- Peggy Sharp, Educational Consultant – Best New Children’s Books List
- Barbara Kiefer, Charlotte S. Hunk Professor, Ohio State University – Favorite Books for 2008
And now for something really exciting!!
Last April of 2019, a graduate student at Cambridge emailed asking for permission to include Colonial Voices in her thesis on ‘engaged reading to children in the classroom’. I sent images not seen before and behind the scenes tidbits.
Karen’s thesis is 19,948 words. Colonial Voices is featured in Part Two.
“The stunning watercolor-and-ink illustrations, the themed typeset and layout, and the map of Colonial Boston inside the book’s covers reinforce the book’s historical theme…” Rutgers University Project on Economics and Children
“Winter’s strong, moving text is supported by a thoughtful design and rich paintings capture the individuals and their circumstances as well as what’s at stake…” Booklist, starred review
“A unique presentation for all libraries…” School Library Journal, starred review
“Engaging ink-and-watercolor illustrations contrast the drama of this historical event with details of everyday life in the streets and shops of colonial Boston. Savory historical fare…” Kirkus